A different metaphor

I found this guy's writings last week, and have been reading them every chance I get. He's some animator guy named Derek Flood, who thinks and writes like me. … Only probably better! (Yes my gentle readers… that is possible.) Here's the thing. I don't read other people's blogs. I have so much I need to learn that wading though someone else's emotional swamps, looking for nuggets of inspiration or truth is just not something I can justify doing. So when I stumble across a blog that just rips open my heart and articulates its unexplored corners, I gotta talk about it.

The first article I read was about the need for a different metaphor when it comes to Christ's work on the cross. The way it has been cast for us evangelicals, (and Christianity in general for hundreds of years) is though a legal metaphor. God is an impartial judge who sentences us to eternal torture because Adam sinned, and we all do to. But here comes Jesus the great lawyer who discovers a loophole! He dies in our place to satisfy justice and we get off scott free. Flood examines the other alternative that existed before the legal paradigm came about. The Christus Victor model. I always thought that model was a kooky liberal attempt to minimize sin and such. But flood make a powerful argument for it here:

http://sharktacos.com/God/cross_intro.shtml

Here are some other articles I found amazing:

http://sharktacos.com/God/hell.html

http://sharktacos.com/God/suffering1.shtml

Derek is not a Universalist. Yet. But I don't see how his conclusions could lead him anywhere else. And if they do, I'll be really fascinated to see how that happens.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Epic Weekend

Coming of Age Ceremony

Book Musings: The Righteous Mind - Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion